Home | About | News |

C for Chatto: Chatto 2014 Vintage Release

Originally published at: https://winechatty.com/2015/08/01/c-for-chatto-chatto-2014-vintage-release/
Title: C for Chatto Genre: Action-Thriller Running Time: TBA Rating: R18+ Chat Responsibly Australian Release Date: 1/8/15 Director: Jim Chatto Starring: Chatto White Label Pinot Noir 2014 Chatto Isle Black Label Pinot Noir 2014 Synopsis: Every year (for the past three years at least) WineChatty has held an annual blind tasting of a random selection of…

Lots of love for the Isle

Reviews
2014 Chatto Isle Pinot Noir reviews

Campbell Mattinson, The Winefront 31 July 2015
Its tiny production – only 50 or so dozen I believe – could easily define it. Instead, its quality does.
It lingers for longer. I could go on about cherry this and sourness that, about the interplay between peppers and smoked woody spices – but who could be bothered when the entire thrill of quality here revolves around the wine’s unmissably long, reedy finish? With each sip, the persistence of flavour allows enough time yet for a hundred indecisions, and a hundred visions and revisions – to borrow from J. Alfred Prufrock – before finally slipping away into a past we are desperate to immediately revisit. Call it a poetic wine. Or a sensation. It matters not a great deal anyway.
97; 2016-2030

James Halliday, Australian Wine Companion, 2016 ed.
The first release of 50 dozen, 60 magnums from the best part of the estate. Clones 777, 115 and 8048, matured for 11 months in 1yo French oak. Bright, full purple-crimson, this is a world apart from the varietal Pinot Noir, more powerful, complex and deep, black cherry and plum driving the palate. Will develop superbly.
96; to 2029

Huon Hooke, huonhooke.com July 2015
Ranked #1 of 40 Pinot Noir tasted from Australia
Deep, vivid, young purple/red colour. Slightly smoky reductive or toasty oak aromas (or a combination) dominate somewhat at this point. Some burnt tobacco notes. The palate is soft and fleshy, smooth and attractively textured, although toasty oak is playing a big role here. Good length and it really satisfies. It has great structure for aging. So much for Tassie pinot being too fruit-bomby! It’s ready already, however.
95; 2016-2030

Do you agree with these? I think it definitely needs some age on it

Huon’s description is the closest match to my experience.

Also Halliday’s review is a little inaccurate in regards to the clones used. Isle made solely from a single clone, 777.

Looks like both the White Label and the Isle have now sold out.