Home | About | News |

2015 Wine Assignment #4 – Pinot Noir

Originally published at: https://winechatty.com/wine_assignment/2015-wine-assignment-4-pinot-noir/
Assignment #4 – Pinot Noir For this assignment we tasting a varietal that is rarely blended in still wines, Pinot Noir. It is a varietal that tends to produce some of the most expensive wines in the world and very is picky in it’s growing conditions. It tends to ripen earlier than other common red…

Any thoughts on what to taste for this assignment?

I think I might go and try and Hunter Valley PN and see how that compares to my usual from VIC and TAS.

As you know I’ve been looking at Central Otago PN but find the style a bit too fruit forward. I’m thinking Vic PN’s are more my style. I still wanted to give NZ PN’s a go though. Maybe something from Martinborough?

I didn’t even know PN’s were coming out of the Hunter Valley? Have you tried any?

I’ve had some Hunter Valley PNs when I go for tastings but I honestly can’t remember any that wowed me. But that could be that I was just paying a lot more attention to the awesome Shirazs from that region.

@petertan You do know Ata Rangi is from Martinborough yeah? It was pretty good from my recollection of tasting it at the PWS.

@SammyLee Ah the old ‘garbage dump/tuna fish’ wine? Do you think that the ata rangi (higher end) would be characteristic of the region? I know we bagged it out for the aroma but I actually thought the taste was pretty good.

I may try to pick up another Martinborough for this assignment
Very interested in how a Hunter Valley PN would compare though!

@petertan You’re thinking of the Crimson, (the nose just turned me off for the vintage we had at least). The Ata Rangi Pinot Noir is different beast and since the 2013s are out, worth try IMO.

Cutesy of not5am (from Shacknews) for linking me this “Pinot” Noir video:

Looks like @petertan has a French and a Geelong PN tasted so far. How do they compare?

The Frenchie was simple and easy. Although good for what it is I don’t feel it captures what a French Pinot can do or is characteristic of. The 6 ft 6 Pinot from Geelong was surprisingly in line with what I was expecting. Earthiness some toasted oak. Not too complex (price tag $22) but tasty and hits my pleasure points