Home | About | News |

2015 Assignment #2 - Chardonnay

Discuss anything and everything about this assignment here.

I haven’t picked a wine for this assignment yet myself but I’m interested to see what wines other people are considering and why they are picking them.

I think I’m signed in already?
Right man, I like Chardonnay. Think it’s the only white I actually really enjoy (for the moment).
I usually go for oaky and buttery. Any recommendations for something more subtle and lighter?
Aiming around the $25-$35 mark @Sammy_Lee

@petertan I just saw this on twitter and added it to the suggested wines to try:

Flametree S.R.S. Wallcliffe Chardonnay 2013

I have no idea what it tastes like and been meaning to try more Flametree wines but Ray Jordan just gave this one 100 pts! And according to twitter-sphere it’s more of a reflection of the great vintage. You’re welcome to splash out and try it :laughing:

@Sammy_Lee I’ll do it if I can find it. Which means if it’s not at Dan Murphy’s it’s not happening.
What about general regions that I should be looking at? Margaret River? Yarra? Hunter?

@petertan I’m thinking something along the lines of a cool-climate “Chablis” styled chardonnay.

If you’re limiting it to what’s available at Dan Murphy’s, this one might be worth a try:
https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_906900/yabby-lake-single-vineyard-chardonnay

Something else also from Dan’s:
https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_122048/xanadu-chardonnay

@SammyLee if you were going for a heavier, buttery chardonnay where would you head?

@petertan Can’t say I have anything that pops to my head right now that fits that description.

I’ve just opened a bottle of Chardonnay tonight, first bottle for the assignment.

Quite yellow in colour.

@SammyLee Quite a funky bottle. Looks different to your usual oeuvre.

I started drinking it quite warm (cos I’m impatient as fuck) and the oakiness was way too much. After chilling it the oakiness went into the background and the wine was much more delicate and well balanced. Ever experienced that?

Sup @petertan, @SammyLee

I’m thinking of picking up the Oakridge Guerin Vineyard Chardonnay for this assignment. We had the Pinot Noir at Sammy’s last party and it was a crowd favourite – wondering what the same guys will do with a Chardonnay.

Yeah I’ve definitely experienced that Pete, though usually in reverse – a white that’s really quite reserved because it’s been chilled too much, but opens up on the palate as it warms. The Mount Pleasant Elizabeth Semillon was one that I remember being particularly pronounced – very one-note, acidic when straight out of the fridge, more rounded flavour profile as it warmed a little.

@BrettS @SammyLee We’re going quite Yarra Valley on this assignment aren’t we? I picked Coldstream as it was a winery I didn’t manage to get to on my Yarra trip. I also didn’t manage to get to Oakridge even though that was close to top of the agenda. I find it odd that temperature plays such a big role in the flavours. I understand reds ‘opening up’ on exposure. But whites ‘balancing out’ on reaching the right temp (warming or cooling) is a new concept for me

@petertan @BrettS Guess I’m the only one with a Adelaide Hills one so far.

@petertan I tend to have my Pinot Noirs slightly chilled for a similar reason. I find the different layers easier as it warms up in my hand. It’s probably even more obvious with oaky Chardonnays when you chill it you subdue the nose and the oak a bit revealing the some of the other flavours.

@SammyLee Adelaide Hills? Origin of funky hippy labels?